- F 202.393.7601
A former Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy at the U.S. Department of the Treasury, Eric advises clients on a wide range of transactional, policy and controversy issues.
Eric has more than 40 years of tax experience in private practice at law and accounting firms, and government service at the U.S. Treasury Department and the IRS. Today, he uses his decades of experience to advise clients on a wide range of transactional tax, tax policy and controversy issues.
Prior to joining IPB, Eric was a partner and senior counsel at an AmLaw 100 firm in Washington, DC. He previously served as co-director of Ernst & Young LLP's national tax department.
From 2006 to 2009, he served as assistant secretary for tax policy at the Treasury Department. In this role, he headed the Office of Tax Policy, which serves as the primary advisor to the Secretary of the Treasury on legal and economic matters relating to domestic and international taxation. He led the Office of Tax Policy during the financial crisis in 2008. He has testified before Congress both as a government official and as a private citizen, and is noted for his contributions in the field of tax law and policy.
Eric joined the Treasury Department in 1999, and served in both the Clinton and George W. Bush administrations. He was senior advisor for policy, deputy assistant secretary (tax policy) and deputy assistant secretary (regulatory affairs) before his confirmation as assistant secretary. In recognition of his accomplishments at the Treasury Department, he received the Alexander Hamilton Award, the highest award for Treasury service, and the Distinguished Presidential Rank Award.
Prior to his service with the Treasury Department, Eric was a principal in Ernst & Young's national tax mergers and acquisitions group. Previously, he was assistant chief counsel (corporate) at the IRS, heading the IRS legal division responsible for all corporate tax issues. He began his career in private practice with law firms in New York and Philadelphia.
Eric is an adjunct professor of law at Georgetown University Law Center, where he teaches a course in corporate taxation. He received the Charles Fahy Distinguished Adjunct Professor Award for Georgetown University's graduate law programs. He is also co-chair of the Practising Law Institute conference on Tax Strategies for Corporate Acquisitions and Dispositions.
New York University, LL.M. in taxation
University of Virginia, J.D.
Princeton University, A.B., Phi Beta Kappa
Bar & Court Admissions
District of Columbia
Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy, U.S. Treasury Department, 2006 - 2009
Senior Advisor for Policy, Deputy Assistant Secretary (Tax Policy) and Deputy Assistant Secretary (Regulatory Affairs), Office of Tax Policy, 1999 - 2006
Assistant Chief Counsel (corporate), Internal Revenue Service, 1990 - 1995
Memberships & Affiliations
Adjunct Professor, Georgetown University Law Center
Co-Chair, Practising Law Institute conference on Tax Strategies for Corporate Acquisitions and Dispositions
Immediate Past President, American Tax Policy Institute
Immediate Past Chair of the Corporate Tax Committee of the ABA Tax Section
Chair of the American Bar Association Section of Taxation, 2018-2019
Former member of the Executive Committee, Tax Section, New York State Bar Association
Honors & Awards
Best Lawyers in America, Tax Law, 2021-2022
US Treasury Department, Alexander Hamilton Award
US Treasury Department, Distinguished Presidential Rank Award
Georgetown University, Distinguished Adjunct Professor Award
Tax Council Policy Institute, Pillar of Excellence Award
Tax Foundation, Distinguished Service Award
Tax Executives Institute, Distinguished Service Award
Federal Bar Association, Taxation Section, Kenneth H. Liles Award for Distinguished Service
State Bar of Texas, Taxation Section, Outstanding Achievement Award
State Bar of California, Taxation Section, Distinguished Service Award
News & Events
Speeches & Presentations
- Moderator, "Corporate Taxation: The Corporate Alternative Minimum Tax," DC Bar 2023 Tax Legislative and Regulatory Update Conference, January 25, 2023
- "Mid-Term and Presidential Elections Impacts on Tax Legislation in the US and Brazil," Bichara Advogados Webinar, December 12, 2022
- "The New Excise Tax on Corporate Stock Buybacks," Tax Notes Talk, October 7, 2022
- "Recent Developments and Trends in Corporate Taxation Planning," USC Gould School of Law 2022 Tax Institute, January 24, 2022
- "Tax Reform," USC Gould School of Law 2022 Tax Institute, January 24, 2022
- Moderator, "Corporate Taxation: Subchapter C Reform and Policy in the 117th Congress," DC Bar 2021 Virtual Tax Legislative and Regulatory Conference, January 14, 2021
- "US, International, and State Tax Policy Overview," 2020 Delaware Tax Institute, December 9, 2020
- "Hot Corporate Tax Topics," NYU 79th Institute on Federal Taxation, November 17, 2020
- "Corporate Tax Update," ABA Section of Taxation Virtual 31st Annual Philadelphia Tax Conference, November 11, 2020
- "Current Issues in Divisive Strategies – Spin-Offs," Practising Law Institute's Tax Strategies for Corporate Acquisitions 2020, October 16, 2020
- "To Rely or Not To Rely - That is the Question - Subregulatory Guidance in Turbulent Times," Tax Executive Institute's 75th Annual Conference, October 26, 2020
- Moderator, "The COVID-19 Pandemic: Relevant Tax Legislation and Other Considerations for Insurers," Virtual 2020 Insurance Tax Seminar, May 29, 2020
- "Debt Workouts and Restructuring," Practising Law Institute's Tax Planning for Partnerships 2020, May 14, 2020
- "Tax Implications of COVID-19: Tax Attributes and the CARES Act," ABA Section of Taxation Webinar, April 23, 2020
- "Recent Developments and Trends in Corporate Taxation Planning," USC Gould School of Law 2020 Tax Institute, January 27, 2020
- "Taxable Transaction Alternatives," Practising Law Institute's Tax Strategies for Corporate Acquisitions, Dispositions, Spin-Offs, Joint Ventures, Financings, Reorganizations & Restructurings 2019, December 4, 2019
- "Corporate Tax Update," Philadelphia Tax Conference, October 28, 2019
- "Current Issues in Divisive Strategies – Spin-Offs," Practising Law Institute's Tax Strategies for Corporate Acquisitions, Dispositions, Spin-Offs, Joint Ventures, Financings, Reorganizations & Restructurings 2019, October 16, 2019
- "Corporate Transactions Open Discussion," Practising Law Institute's Tax Strategies for Corporate Acquisitions, Dispositions, Spin-Offs, Joint Ventures, Financings, Reorganizations & Restructurings 2019, October 17, November 14 & December 5, 2019