Retirement plans are what we do. Our Benefits & Compensation team can help you with all aspects of pension and savings plan compliance, from plan design to plan termination and everything in between.
For more than 80 years, we have piloted employers through the complex rules governing their pension, 401(k), ESOP, money purchase, cash balance and PEP plans. A significant percentage of the Fortune 100 has relied on our Benefits & Compensation team to develop practical and creative solutions. We represent some of the nation's largest employers – with billions in plan assets – as well as many smaller and closely held businesses.
We represent employers – not recordkeepers or TPAs. Our clients include public and private companies, tax-exempt entities, and governmental organizations that sponsor benefit plans. Our singular focus on employers enables us to zealously represent your interests without conflicts; this is critical when negotiating service agreements on behalf of our clients.
- Audits and Corrections: Auditing clients' plans for operational compliance, and assisting with the self-correction of operational "goofs," as well as formal IRS and DOL correction programs.
- Lobbying: Drafting the statutory language that became Code section 401(k), one of the most significant employee benefit changes since ERISA was passed in 1974.
- Global Issues: Consulting with foreign multinationals on the special problems arising from cross-border issues and employees transferring among different jurisdictions. Advising on Canadian and Puerto Rican plans.
- M&A: Extensive advising on transactions (100+), many of which were multi-billion dollar deals. Negotiating agreements, supporting due diligence efforts, and drafting new plans to coordinate with existing plans. Advising on both the high-level plan design strategy, as well as the day-to-day vendor contracts and payroll conversions.
- Fiduciary Liability: Advising boards of directors and plan administrative committees on ways to minimize fiduciary liability. Counseling clients on prohibited transactions and applying for DOL exemptive relief.
- Cash Balance Plans: Establishing one of the first Fortune 100 cash balance plans. Our knowledge leaders in this area are frequently tapped for lobbying, litigation support and scholarly publications.
News & Events
- 2020 Year-End Benefits Checklist | 11.19.2020
- 401(k) Pioneer Carroll Savage Profiled by DC Bar | 12.11.2017
- Spencer Walters Quoted re: DOL State Auto-IRA Rule | 05.14.2017
- Robin Solomon Quoted re DOL Fiduciary Rule | November/December 2016
- Robin Solomon Discusses Retirement Drawdown Strategy | 09.06.2016
- BenefitsPro Quotes Ben Grosz About Retirement Plans | 03.04.2016
- Retirement Plan Tax Breaks Discussed by Ben Grosz | 01.27.2016
- Retirement Account Planning Under the SECURE Act | 04.13.2020
- EB Update: Tax Reform | 11.17.2017
- "The Case for Custom Target-Date Funds" | 08.2017
- Employee Benefits Update | 09.2016
- Safe Harbor 401(k) Plans: More Mid-Year Flexibility | 01.30.2014
- Roundup of Recent IRS Qualified Plans Guidance | 01.30.2014
- 401(k) Investment Committee Topics | 11.19.2013
- Employee Benefits Law, Third Edition, Cumulative Supplement | Fall 2013
- IRS Post-DOMA Guidance: What Employers Should Do Now | 09.16.2013
- Now What? Employee Benefits After DOMA | 07.02.2013
- Qualified Retirement Plans | 2017
- 401(k) Plan Nondiscrimination Testing Solution | 02.01.2010
- 401(k) Automatic Contribution Arrangement | 09.09.2009
- Fry v. Exelon: How Will the IRS React? | 07.22.2009
- EPCRS Update 2006 | 12.2005
- Year-End Benefits Checklist 2005 | 11.2005
- Roth Contributions - Proposed Regulations Issued | 03.02.2005
- Alert: Change in "Dependent" Definition | 12.2004
- Cash Balance Alert: February 10, 2004 | 01.10.2004
- Cash Balance Alert: October 30, 2003 | 10.30.2003
- Year-End Benefit Issues 2003 | 2003
- Keeping Current with Qualified Plans | 09.10.2002
- Do Cash Balance Plans Violate the ADEA? | Summer 2000
- Is There a Scriveners Error Doctrine | Spring 2000
- Whither Guidance? | Fall 1998
- Introduction and Hughes Blues | Fall 1998
- Hybrid Branches Face Stern Test | 03.1998
- State Withholding from Qualified Plan Distributions | 04.02.1993