Prior to becoming a lawyer, Ben founded his own financial planning business. He now brings that entrepreneurial spirit and problem-solving mindset to each of his client matters. Whether working with an individual or a large corporation, Ben starts with an understanding of your needs and works to build you a winning strategy.
Ben advises clients on a broad range of federal income, estate and gift tax planning matters, as well as employee benefits issues.
Ben has assisted clients in structuring settlements, asset sales, reorganizations, and charitable donations to satisfy client objectives. He also has experience drafting estate planning documents, administering estates, and with probate matters. His employee benefits practice consists of advising employers on a wide range of issues, including: ERISA; health, welfare and retirement plans; compliance with state and federal laws and regulations; and executive compensation. He also has experience advising boards of directors and the management of nonprofit organizations and performs "legal health checkups" for tax-exempt organizations. Besides being a counselor to nonprofits, he has also served as an officer and/or director for tax-exempt organizations.
Before law school, Ben started his own financial planning business. Prior to that he was a business manager at Capital One Financial Corporation, where he developed strategy and analysis for its credit card and banking businesses. His experiences in starting his own financial planning business and developing business strategy for Capital One help him understand the needs of clients ranging from entrepreneurs to large corporations.
University of Virginia School of Law, 2011, J.D.
- Tazewell Taylor Memorial Scholarship
- Virginia Tax Review, Sr. Editor
- President of the Volunteer Income Tax Assistance pro bono project
- Nonprofit Clinic
Georgetown University, 2008, Exec. Cert., Financial Planning
University of Virginia, 2003, B.A., magna cum laude
- Phi Beta Kappa
- Echols Scholar
Bar & Court Admissions
District of Columbia
U.S. Tax Court
Memberships & Affiliations
D.C. Bar Association, Tax Section
American Bar Association, Section of Taxation
Virginia Bar Association
Honors & Awards
Washington DC Super Lawyers "Rising Star" (2016-17)
Idealist of the Year, City Year DC (2008)
Volunteer of the Year, Capital One (2006)
News & Events
- Code Section 162(m) Planning Strategies | 01.25.2019
- Code Section 162(m) Grandfathering Rule Under TCJA | 01.25.2019
- Employee Benefits Alert: New Disability Claims Rules | 03.23.2018
- IPB Attorneys Teach Tax Strategies for Artists | 02.05.2018
- EB Newsletter: Tax Reform | 11.17.2017
- IPB Attorneys Present TEI Employee Benefits Seminar | 11.03.2017
- Benjamin Grosz Speaks at DC Bar | 03.16.2017
- BenefitsPro Quotes Ben Grosz About Retirement Plans | 03.04.2016
- Retirement Plan Tax Breaks Discussed by Ben Grosz | 01.27.2016
- Benjamin Grosz Speaks at DC Bar | 11.12.2015
- IPB Tax, Trusts & Estates Newsletter | 03.2019
- Affordable Care Act Update | 10.18.2018
- IPB Tax, Trusts & Estates Newsletter | 08.2018
- IPB Tax, Trust & Estates Newsletter | 03.2018
- Employee Benefits Update | 12.20.2017
- EB Update: Tax Reform | 11.17.2017
- IPB Tax, Trusts & Estates Newsletter | 11.2017
- "The Case for Custom Target-Date Funds" | 08.2017
- Employee Benefits in Focus: The DOL Fiduciary Rule | 06.07.2016
- Employee Benefits in Focus: Wellness Plans | 05.25.2016
- Responding to a Data Breach in Your Health Plan | 02.12.2015
- IRS Post-DOMA Guidance: What Employers Should Do Now | 09.16.2013
- Deductibility of Charitable Contributions | November 2010
Speeches & Presentations
- "Employee Benefits in Merger & Acquisitions," Tax Executives Institute, Los Angeles Chapter, November 3, 2017. Presenters: Steven H. Witmer, Benjamin L. Grosz, and Robin M. Solomon.
- "Executive Compensation: Selected Topics," Tax Executives Institute, Los Angeles Chapter, November 3, 2017. Presenters: Ben Grosz and Robin Solomon
- "EB Fundamentals for Tax Executives," Tax Executives Institute, Los Angeles Chapter, November 3, 2017. Presenters: Benjamin L. Grosz, Robin M. Solomon, and Steven H. Witmer.
- “Ask the Expert” – Retirement Plans panel, 2017 Maryland Health Care & Retirement Plan Summit, Baltimore, MD - Oct. 24, 2017.
- “Ask the Lawyers” – 2017 Employee Benefits Update, Washington Area Compensation & Benefits Association, Fairfax, VA - September 21, 2017.
- Executive Compensation and Employment Tax update, N. Florida Compensation & Benefits Association, Jacksonville, FL - May 25, 2017. Presenters: Ben Grosz and Robin Solomon
- Lessons From Younger Rainmakers, DC Bar Law Practice Management Section, Washington, DC - March 16, 2017. Panelist: Benjamin L. Grosz
- PlanSponsor, Best of PSNC, Lessons Learned from Litigation, New York, NY - December 1, 2016. Panelist: Benjamin L. Grosz
- D.C. Bar, LinkedIn for Lawyers, Washington, DC - November 30, 2016. Moderator: Benjamin L. Grosz
- "Evolving Investment Fiduciary Best Practices: Lessons from Recent 401(k)/403(b) Litigation and the New DOL Rules," Platinum Retirement Advisor Call Series (Columbia Threadneedle), Teleconference, November 21, 2016
- American Bar Association, "Business Law Basics” Webinar Series – Employee Benefits, April 28, 2016. Chair/Moderator: Benjamin L. Grosz; Panelist: Steven H. Witmer
- D.C. Bar, LinkedIn for Lawyers, Washington, DC - November 12, 2015. Moderator: Benjamin L. Grosz
- "Employee Benefit Basics for Business Attorneys," American Bar Association, San Francisco, CA, April 17, 2015. Chair/Moderator: Benjamin L. Grosz; Panelist: Steven H. Witmer
- "Protecting Yourself from ERISA Fiduciary Liability," Tax Executives Institute, Cincinnati-Columbus Chapter, February 9-10, 2015. Presenters: Jodi H. Epstein and Benjamin L. Grosz
- "Back to Basics: Powers of Appointment," D.C. Bar Taxation Section, Estate Planning Committee, January 22, 2013. Presenter: Benjamin L. Grosz