Les is both a CPA and an attorney, and he's one of the leading practitioners in the U.S. in the area of income tax accounting and inventories. He has represented over half of the companies in the Fortune 500, as well as the leading accounting firms in the U.S.
Les' practice is concentrated on accounting methods, the timing of revenue and expenses, the valuation of inventories, and capital v. expense issues. More recently, he has devoted a lot of attention to the interaction of accounting methods with the international tax arena (i.e., section 861, GILTI, FDII and BEAT). Les is most often recognized for his three-volume treatise, Federal Income Taxation of Inventories, published by Matthew-Bender. His work involves tax planning, providing consultations on specific problems, structuring transactions, and the design and adoption of various types of inventory methods. He handles the full panoply of controversies from IRS examinations, to IRS Appeals cases, to litigation. In the tax planning area, one of his strengths is to provide instant assessments of tax issues in the tax accounting area.
In addition to Les' tax accounting credentials, he was a gold medal winner for achieving the highest grade on the CPA examination in the State of Maryland. He also finished second in the State of Maryland on the Bar exam. Upon graduation from Georgetown University Law Center, he was the youngest attorney on the staff of the Office of Tax Legislative Counsel, as well as the Special Assistant to the Assistant Secretary for Tax Policy of the U.S. Treasury Department. For several years he taught a course in income tax accounting in the graduate tax program at Georgetown University Law Center.
He has been recognized as one of the leading tax lawyers by the various rating services, including Who's Who Legal, The World's Leading Lawyers, The Best Lawyers in America, and Washington, D.C. Super Lawyers. Les was selected as the Tax Attorney of the Year in Washington, DC for 2020 by Best Lawyers. Les has been ranked as one of the two top tax lawyers in Washington, D.C. by Chambers & Partners and has been ranked in the first band of DC's top tax lawyers every year since the ranking's inception. In Chambers & Partners’ newly-released Global Guide of top lawyers in the world, Les was ranked among the top 10 tax lawyers in the United States out of 10,000 tax lawyers.
Georgetown University Law Center, 1971, J.D.
- Georgetown Law Journal, Member, Board of Editors, 1970 - 1971
- Order of the Coif
University of Maryland, 1967, B.S., magna cum laude
Bar & Court Admissions
District of Columbia
U.S. Tax Court
U.S. Claims Court
Office of Tax Legislative Counsel, U.S. Treasury, 1971-1973
Special Assistant to Assistant Secretary of Treasury for Tax Policy, 1973
Memberships & Affiliations
American Bar Association, Tax Section, Tax Accounting Committee
American Institute of Certified Public Accountants
Tax Accounting Technical Resource Panel
News & Events
- Twelve IPB Attorneys Recognized by Best Lawyers | 08.19.2021
- Les Schneider Speaks to the Tax Executives Institute | 03.25.2021
- Les Schneider Recognized by Who's Who Legal | 10.17.2018
- Leslie Schneider Quoted in Tax Notes | 03.15.2018
- Tax Reform and Potential Accounting Method Changes | 12.05.2017
- Taxation of Business Income - Client Alert | 11.18.2016
- Section 385 Regulations-Corporate Client Alert | 11.14.2016
- Nine Ivins Attorneys Named as 2015 DC Super Lawyers | 04.26.2015
- Ivins Attorneys Speak at FBA Tax Law Conference | 02.28.2014
- Six Ivins Attorneys Named as 2013 DC Super Lawyers | 04.28.2013
- Ivins Comments on Proposed Regulations | 12.2012
- Ivins Attorneys Speak at Cincinnati TEI Seminar | 09.19.2011
- Leslie Schneider Comments on Licensing Fee Decision | 03.29.2010
- Leslie Schneider Comments on Proposal to Repeal LIFO | 09.30.2009
- IPB Alert: Notice 2019-09 and Section 4960 | 04.02.2019