Jodi has a great knack for translating complex benefits issues into practical terms for wide audiences, a skill that's highly valued by her clients in Legal and HR departments and makes her a sought-after speaker at conferences.
Jodi has more than 20 years of experience with all aspects of employee benefits, with a particular focus on defined benefit plans and 401(k) plans. She is particularly adept at managing integrations after acquisitions, setting up new benefit platforms, pension plan lump sum windows and terminations, and advising qualified plan committees regarding their fiduciary duties. Jodi’s practice includes day-to-day compliance issues, such as assisting with implementation of new legislation and regulations, trouble-shooting when glitches arise in plan operations, and helping qualified plan committees monitor plan investments and plan vendors. She has experience with government entities as well as corporate clients. Her practice also includes the one-of-a-kind issues that arise in connection with M&A activity.
Jodi is well-versed in the complexity and challenges raised by large controlled groups. Clients appreciate Jodi’s ability to manage projects involving multiple plan vendors, often on a tight timetable. Her client service and responsiveness are unsurpassed. Jodi has been individually recognized by Chambers & Partners for Employee Benefits & Executive Compensation.
Harvard Law School, 1993, J.D., cum laude
Stanford University, 1988, B.A., with distinction
Bar & Court Admissions
District of Columbia
Clerkship with the Honorable Suzanne B. Conlon, Federal District Court for the Northern District of Illinois
Memberships & Affiliations
D.C. Bar Tax Section, Employee Benefits Committee
American Bar Association
- For over a decade, for a single multinational client, Jodi helped merge more than 100 frozen defined contribution plans down into 2 plans. She helped develop a “Gatekeeper Process” for merger approvals, and she assisted with the blackout notice and other participant communications.
- Jodi advises Plan committees on a regular basis. She helps them navigate the complex rules involved with IRC and ERISA compliance, and helps them fulfill their ERISA fiduciary duties by monitoring vendors and overseeing investments.
- Jodi has drafted full-scale benefits programs following an acquisition or spinoff. Developing these new benefit platforms has included drafting new plan documents and SPDs, negotiating trustee and other vendor agreements, and crafting participant communications.
News & Events
- Code Section 162(m) Grandfathering Rule Under TCJA | 01.25.2019
- Code Section 162(m) Planning Strategies | 01.25.2019
- Employee Benefits Alert: New Disability Claims Rules | 03.23.2018
- EB Newsletter: Tax Reform | 11.17.2017
- Benefits & Compensation Insider | 01.2020
- IPB Alert: Notice 2019-09 and Section 4960 | 04.02.2019
- Affordable Care Act Update | 10.18.2018
- Employee Benefits Update | 12.20.2017
- EB Update: Tax Reform | 11.17.2017
- Employee Benefits in Focus: The DOL Fiduciary Rule | 06.07.2016
- Employee Benefits in Focus: Wellness Plans | 05.25.2016
- Responding to a Data Breach in Your Health Plan | 02.12.2015
- IRS Post-DOMA Guidance: What Employers Should Do Now | 09.16.2013
- Now What? Employee Benefits After DOMA | 07.02.2013
- Keeping Current with Qualified Plans | 09.10.2002
Speeches & Presentations
- June 13, 2018, “2018 Washington Update,” speaker, Plan Sponsor National Conference, Washington DC
- June 13, 2018, “DC Bootcamp: Understanding ERISA and Fiduciary Fundamentals,” speaker, Plan Sponsor National Conference
- October 26, 2017, “Best of” Plan Sponsor National Conference (PSNC), New York City program, Regulatory/Litigation Update – Panelist.
- October 12, 2017, Women, Influence & Power in Law conference, Navigating & Surviving an IRS or DOL Audit of Your Benefit Plans – Panelist.
- October 9, 2017 Pension & Investments West Coast Defined Contribution Conference, Navigating the White Label Process – Panelist.
- May 12, 2017, Tax Executives Institute full-day seminar at Meadow Wood Manor, NJ, Top Tax Compliance Risks and Pitfalls in Executive Compensation and Employee Benefits (with Robin Solomon).
- April 25, 2017, Mid-Sized Retirement and Healthcare Plan Management Conference in Baltimore MD, Surviving a DOL Audit (with Spencer Walters).
- February 24, 2017, Tax Executives Institute, Carolinas Chapter in Charlotte, NC, Global Mobility of Employees: Practical Strategies (with Doug Andre).
- April 5, 2016, Defined Contribution Institutional Investment Association (DCIIA) Public Policy Forum: Minimizing 401(k) Plan Litigation Risk – Panelist.
- May 14, 2015, DC Bar Employee Benefits Committee Program: Qualified Plan Corrections and Revenue Procedures 2015-27 and 2015-28 – Panelist.
- March 3, 2015 Pension & Investments East Coast Defined Contribution Conference -- Moderator, Large Plans Roundtable.
- February 9-10, 2015 Tax Executives Institute, Cincinnati-Columbus Chapter -- "Protecting Yourself from ERISA Fiduciary Liability" Presenters (with Benjamin Grosz).
- March 4, 2014 Pension & Investments East Coast Defined Contribution Conference -- Moderator, Large Plans Roundtable.